Internal audit services is a consulting service that Baker Tilly provides to its clients on outsourced or co-sourced basis in order to carry out the internal audit engagements within business entities, which help the audit committee or Board of Directors obtain assurance about risk management, control and governance processes. The internal audit services provides several benefits that businesses gain, significantly, assisting the management with identifying, measuring and monitoring the internal controls; identifying deficiencies in processes and procedures; defining recommendation and guidance required to rectify the deficiency from within the business entity; achieving the established goals; and ensuring compliance with laws and regulations.
We, at Baker Tilly, offer highly professional delivery of internal audit engagements through employing specialist professionals with extensive experience in working with different industries, and applying the regulators’ instructions and international standards governing the internal audit engagements.
What is the Definition of Internal Audit?
Internal audit is defined as an independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to add value and improve an organization’s operations. It helps an organization accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes.
(Source: The Institute of Internal Auditors)
The above definition establishes basic cornerstones of internal audit to be objective consulting activity focusing on risks and governance.
What are the international standards governing the internal audit?
The International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing issued by the Institute of Internal Auditors in USA govern the internal audit activities and practices. Such Standards have two main categories:
The first category is the Attribute Standards, which define the attributes of professional firms and individuals performing internal auditing activity.
The second category is the Performance Standards, which set out the nature of internal auditing and provide quality criteria employed to measure the performance of these services.
Each category comprises a set of standards.
What is the scope of internal audit?
The scope of internal audit covers three main themes:
These comprise objective examination of evidence to provide an independent assessment of risk management, control and governance processes.
These include the provision of advisory services as agreed upon with the client and which are intended to add value and improve business operations.
Value – adding Services
These focus on efficiency and effectiveness to improve processes and the economical use of finances and resources.
What is the role of internal audit in monitoring efficiency of internal control systems?
The Internal Audit plays a pivotal role in assessing efficiency and effectiveness of internal control systems through performing the following assignments:
- Risk assessment – help the business entity identify and assess key areas of risk and the necessary measures to deal with the same.
- Procedures assessment and documentation – this is achieved through understanding and documenting the procedures adopted by the business, and providing the necessary recommendations to enhance the same.
- Internal controls assessment – identify deficiencies in internal control systems and methods to address them.
- Reporting – provide findings and recommendations intended to improve processes and internal control systems.
Is the internal audit a mandatory requirement?
The Internal Audit activity in Kuwait is a mandatory requirement for listed companies and companies licensed by the Capital Markets Authority (the “CMA”) and for banks, finance companies and exchange companies regulated by Central Bank of Kuwait. However, the internal audit is optional for other entities than those mentioned above.
What are Capital Markets Authority instructions related to the internal audit?
Law No. 7 of 2010 and its Executive Regulations, Module 15 – Corporate Governance sets forth the relevant requirements for listed companies and companies licensed by Capital Markets Authority.
The CMA instructions address the organizational structure of the internal audit activity in accordance with the following articles:
|Article 5-7||The authorities and responsibilities of the Audit Committee are as follows:|
|Article 6-7||The Company shall set up an internal audit department/ office/ unit, which will have complete technical independence as per the following:|
What are the characteristics of internal audit report as per CMA instructions?
Module 15 – Corporate Governance of Executive Regulations sets forth the following requirements regarding the internal audit report:
|Article 6-8||The internal audit department/ office/ unit shall prepare a report including review and evaluation of the internal control systems in place in the Company. Such report shall include the following:|
|Article 6-9||Further, another audit firm shall review and assess the performance of internal audit department/ office/ unit regularly every three years. Copy of such report shall be submitted to the Internal Audit Committee and the board of directors.|
What are the CMA requirements related to internal audit officer position?
Internal Audit Officer at licensed persons is a CMA registrable position. Module 5 – Securities Activities and Registered Persons – of the CMA Executive Regulations sets forth in Appendix (3) the academic qualifications and experience to be met by registrable positions in accordance with efficiency and integrity rules of Licensed Person.
What is the added value to business entities from engagement of Internal Audit Services in Kuwait?
- Comply with laws, regulations, resolutions and instructions issued by Capital Markets Authority;
- Identify efficiency and effectiveness of the internal control systems in place in the business entity through addition or updates to ensure sustainable updates; and
- Enhance the business entity’s performance efficiency and competitive capabilities through having the ability to face unforeseen changes in the market and define the causes of failure to implement the internal control systems.
What are the Internal Audit Services in Kuwait provided by Baker Tilly?
- Provision of internal audit services to listed and licensed companies on annual basis including the preparation of all required reports;
- Develop the internal control systems manual for listed and CMA licensed companies;
- Implement the corrective actions that arise from internal control review and internal audit reports; and
- Internal auditors’ secondment to assist businesses with performing the internal audit activities.